Sunday 22 November 2009

A homemade scarf, just in time for winter!


Remember those amazing knits by Rodarte from their AW 08 collection? After seeing them, I fell completely in love with the whole concept of shabby chic knitwear, and just HAD to have something similar in my wardrobe. So, after a year of knitting... haha... I have completed my own version of their woolen creations.

I present to you my new, 3m long homemade scarf!

None of my family seem to understand it and instead think I'm just rubbish at knitting - which is true - but this is actually how it was intended to come out. I incorporated bits of ribbon and different thicknesses of wool to add to the look.


The colour scheme was based on the colours of wool that I had available - mainly 'baby' colours because the wool comes from my gran's old knitting box and she knitted baby clothes! Thats why I added in a some dark blue, to give it a bit of an edge.


Making the scarf was veryveryvery easy. Even if you're a complete beginner like me, I definitely recommend having a go! It doesn't even matter if you drop a stitch, as it just adds to the whole look. Use the widest knitting needles you can find and it should work really well!

Sadie xxx

23 comments:

Secondhand Stella said...

Pretty! I love the colors.

Dodo said...

It's cute ^^ I love knitting :)

Boo said...

Pretty colours, love how you incorporated the ribbon x

Fashionisaparty.com (Suz) said...

cute <3

Emma x said...

Lovely, i really want to learn to knit! x

Corinna said...

i like the colours :)
i like the loose knit and i'm sure you get done faster that way:D

Kavita @ She Wears Fashion - UK style and fashion blog said...

I love it! :) ♥

sophiemakesthings said...

Aw this scarf is lovely! The ribbon looks so pretty in with the wool :) I love those Rodarte knitted jumpers... I think my next knitting project is going to be a jumper, if I can work out how to understand knitting patterns!
xxx

Maria Confer said...

Oh, I love the shades you used!!

I bought a bunch of yarn the other day and I'm going to try crocheting a scarf. We'll see how it goes.

lululetty.blogspot.com

Christina said...

I wish I knew how to knit! I'd definitely make and wear this. The ribbons are a very creative touch!

Also, I tagged you here: http://thestoryofwonderful.blogspot.com/2009/11/theres-word-of-peace-on-your-lips.html

It'd be great if you could follow up-- I'd love to read your answers!

Unknown said...

Oooooh I love the bits of ribbon in the scarf!! :) Great job!

Marie said...

Good for you! Love it, and I think you have talent for it! Here's to the next knitting project.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Little Bo Peeep said...

oh my i love this idea! i love the whole ribbon in the scarf thing. i get so impatient with knitting, when i use a small needle. i can never knit a scarf 'cause of that. i usually end up making handphone covers and flowers, hahah.

thats why ive been trying to get a thick knitting needle so it wont take as long to knit a scarf >:) this shall be my next knitting project.

Penny said...

Lovely! I just finished a grape-colored scarf myself. I didn't intend for it to turn out "distressed" but that's how it ended up! Haha.

l said...

I love the pastel colours, like a cute little springtime pick me up :]

Lost at 11 said...

really cute!

Alice said...

what a great scarf! I love the idea of shabby chic knitwear, definitely something I'd like to try.

also, I've just recently discovered your blog and wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed it. You have such fantastic style! I'm really new to blogging but your one of the bloggers who've inspired me to start my own.

-Alice from Australia!

Suze said...

oooh i really like your style!
youre such a cutie!
x

Amelia said...

I love the idea. This would probably be a good project for me since I'm terrible at knitting, too, haha.

Christina said...

I seriously wish I could knit! This is so cool :)

-xtina
www.thisisxtina.blogspot.com

H A N N A H . M A Y . R O S E . † said...

gorgeous blog, I love your style! do you want to exchange links? let me know :)

♥ Hannah

((LONDON--ROSE.BLOGSPOT.COM))

xx

Valonia Irene said...

love your scarf, and your blog too! :)
mind to exchange link anyway?

Emelie said...

that scarf is so cute how did you add in the ribbion everytime I start kinitting i always take it apart cuase it never looks straight or something but this way looks like you wouldnt have to worry about that while it still looks so cute i think im guna try this out : )
<3 Emelie
from
http://www.clementinascorner.blogspot.com/