Sunday 31 July 2011

Cabbages and Roses


I know that in my last blog post I mentioned that I feel guilty buying brand new items of clothing, but I just couldn't resist purchasing this charming mod-style dress last week at a designer outlet sale at Kilver Court. The dress is from London based brand Cabbages and Roses, which was founded in 2000 by designer & author Christina Strutt. Since its creation, the brand has expanded from its roots as a vintage-inspired textiles company by adding homewares and clothing departments, all in keeping with their very 'British' image.

Of course, I did feel a slight pang of guilt as I handed the money over for the dress, but after having a look on the company website I feel more than comfortable with the values they represent:

'We cherish quality and individuality. We aim to run our business in the kindest way possible, with the best quality of product and with the best treatment of the people involved in the provenance of the product; from beginning to end. Quality, uniqueness and fair prices paid to all our suppliers are reflected in our prices.'

So... I think I can justify it?

(Also... it reminds me a little bit a lot of the dress I made back in May 2010 - only my new one is properly lined and much higher quality!)
 
I took great care in shortening and re-hemming it by hand, as it was slightly longer than what I'd usually wear. It was nice to sit down for half an hour with my needle and thread in front of the TV - this particular dress certainly deserved more than my usual 5 minute job on the sewing machine!
 
The dress is actually from a few seasons ago (I bought it at an outlet), but I was lucky enough to meet the designer who assured me that they will be bringing out some similar designs this Autumn/Winter. I can't wait to see what they produce!
 
Sadie xxx

P.S. I was recently interviewed over at MissBeliever.com by the lovely Tamsin - do check out her blog!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you look lovely - like a character out of an Enid Blyton book or something! I'm sure you get of comments on how much of a 5-year-old you look (which I seem to get from people) but you do indeed look so adorable! Am off to check out the place you got the dress from :) Hope you have a lovely summer and I just thought I'd let you know that one of my goals for the summer is to: Make a Dress and your seamstress skills are my prime inspiration! xx

Anisa Young said...

So classic! This dress has your name written all over it! The peter pan collar is adorbs on you! xxAnisa

SomeoneLikeYou said...

How truly lovely you look in this swet little dress! I can thoroughly see why you just couldn't resist ❤

Unknown said...

omg that dress has the best collar!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

sarahkgayda said...

I must say, I think the one you made is a lot cuter, don't sell yourself short!

Laura Jones said...

such a lovely dress and your whole outfit is adorable! x

Unknown said...

Just love this dress.You look adorable :)

Meena Dhuga said...

so cute! don't feel bad!

http://pinklemonsorbet.blogspot.com/

Meena x

SMS Style said...

I love this outfit, just discovered your blog - its lovely, you're so cute xxx

www.southmoltonststyle.com

Unknown said...

oaaaaaaa, how lovely you are <3

wooden heartbeat said...

i love the dress! it looks really cool, wish i could pull off over the knee socks

http://www.woodenheartbeat.blogspot.com/

John Lewis Sale said...

You look like a adorable girl in this dress loved your cap

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

Wow, what an enchanting dress <3 I am obsessed with pan collars, so of course I am crazy over your dress!


x
Lost in the Haze

selina said...

um.um...i hope you would not mind my saying this. I think the dress could look better if it had a slim cut from waist down. Now it makes one as if pregnant..

i miss your previous look in long hair and slimmer body figure... : )

Sadie's Wardrobe said...

Hi Selina! I have promised myself to wear more nipped-in at the waist clothes as I have a habit of drowning myself in clothes that are a bit too big! But I do love the A line shape of the dress and I think it looks a bit better in real life! Sadie x

Lily said...

Oh honey, you look totally cute! I adore the matching beret and socks. I'd love to wear something similar... but I think there is an age limit for knee high socks which I have probably exceeded :(

Sampada said...

The dress is so cute. I'm completely in love with that collar. The whole outfit is just so prefect!

-Violet!

john smith said...

your picture so beautiful perfect click i you background and all is perfect voucher saving